Sunday, March 27, 2016

The most thought provoking part of We all Looked up by Tommy Wallach is when religion is brought up in part of the story and whether or not you should believe in it during the end of the world. The characters question whether to believe in God because why would God end their life and their world. I feel that the author made that part relevant to everyone because it causes us to also think about the importance of what believe in and if that matters at a specific time.
In the scene, Peter and Eliza, talk about Peter’s religion. The line “I’m not. But do you want to hear why I believe, or don’t you care? I might convince you,”is Peter explaining his beliefs and religious thoughts to Eliza, who questions them. She doesn’t understand how Peter could still believe in God or anything or why he still does. Peter feels that if he can explain why he still believes, Eliza can understand. I feel that Peter’s religion is what keeps him going throughout the chaotic part of the end of the world.
The author made the character Peter somewhat of a hero, an optimist and a believer. “Jesus made it ok to love people. So it’s not really a religion at all. It’s just- “ “Humanism” this shows what people think of Peter and his belief in God. Humanist beliefs stress the potential value and goodness of human beings, emphasize common human needs, and seek solely rational ways of solving human problems. This is another one of Peter’s characteristics and I feel that it is a reason the character aspire to be like him.
This scene in the book is very provoking to me because at the end of the world I would question everything I believe in too and wonder why God would decide if I live or die. This part in the book relates to the readers also because it makes you question what to believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment